It can be difficult to entertain friends with allergies and still keep everyone happy. Cupcakes are a very popular dessert option, and these Carrot Cupcakes are not at all dry or crumbly due to one special trick in prep that can withstand the substitution of gluten-free flour. The carrot cakes’ seasonal notes of the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla add flavor. Serve with or without cream cheese frosting.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes (made with organic farm carrots)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (substitute almond flour for gluten sensitivities if needed)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups oil
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup nuts walnuts (optional) and/or 1 cup raisins
Spices to taste: nutmeg, ginger
CARROT PREP: Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla to a medium-sized bowl. Fill one-third full with warm water. Add your grated carrots and raisins to the bowl. Allow to soak and absorb moisture during prep time.
Here is a picture of this dessert prep stage.
TIP: while preparing the rest of the recipe, soak the shredded organic carrots and raisins in a bit of water with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg to impart extra flavor and make the cupcake inclusions extra moist.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place liners in cupcake/muffin baking pan
- Mix together in a bowl together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- In a bigger bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and sugars for about minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix for two minutes.
- Drain most of the excess water off the carrots and add the contents of this bowl into mixture. Add the nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer, it should be dry when taken out.
- Cool then frost, add more nuts and/or raisins if desired.
- To make the cream cheese frosting: a bowl beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add in icing sugar and beat for a minute. Add vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another minute.