Eggplant is hearty and meaty with enough protein to make a nutritious meal. This Eggplant Parmesan recipe is a go-to vegetarian meal option. It has a comfort food quality that makes it a safe bet for brunch or buffet style meals. Like your Eggplant Parmesan less soggy? Try the tips in our recipe below.
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2″ thick slices
- 1 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- (optional) 2 tbsp kosher salt for prep
TIP: Draw excess moisture out of the eggplant by coating the slices with salt before frying. Once beads of moisture appear on the slices, wipe off the moisture and sal
After frying the eggplant slices, lay each slice on a cooling rack to keep it from getting too soggy.