Butternut Squash Soup is a colorful treat that is dressed up with autumnal herbs, pomegranate arils, nuts, or herbs. This winter squash has a bit of a pumpkin taste, but not as bitter or heavy. Add cinnamon or nutmeg to sweeten, or some red pepper flakes for some colorful heat. This soup is a super easy prep for a warm, flavorful payoff that looks so inviting!
Some Optional Garnish ideas for this autumnal soup include:
- Homemade Croutons
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Pomegranate arils
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe | Autumnal Soup Recipe
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 5 cups stock
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg or cinnamon
- Paprika, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400F.
- Step 2 Slice squash in half lengthwise.
- Step 3 Remove the seeds.
- Step 4 Season the squash with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon olive oil and rub oil to coat the squash.
- Step 6 Put the squash face down on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Step 7 Scoop out the baked squash flesh. Set aside.
- Step 8 Slice the onion, mince the garlic.
- Step 9 Heat the remaining olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat.
- Step 10 Add the onion. Saute until tender, season with salt and pepper, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 11 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Step 12 Combine this soup pot sauteed mix, the squash, and the stock to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Step 13 Pour blender contents back into the soup pot.
- Step 14 Season with salt and pepper and your spices of choice (Paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, or nutmeg).
- Step 15 Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 16 Serve in bowls, topping with garnishes of your choice. Some optional garnish ideas include Homemade Croutons, Toasted pumpkin seeds, Pomegranate arils and Parsley
- Step 17 Enjoy!
What do you think would be a good topping for this lovely colored soup? What would you serve with it? Tell us in the comment section!