An appealing but not overly sweet bread suitable for breakfast, brunch, or a quick snack on the go. This quick bread, adapted from “The Redbook Cookbook, 1971 edition”, is delicious as is or especially yummy with softened or whipped cream cheese. It’s often made a guest appearance for brunch at our house.
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ t salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup chopped apricots
- 1 cup whole bran cereal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark or non-stick pan).
- Grease 9x5x2 ¾ inch loaf pan (even a non-stick pan).
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Place eggs in a bowl and beat lightly with a rotary beater (remember, I did say 1971); stir in oil, milk, and apricots.
- Add flour mixture and partially blend.
- Add cereal and nuts; stir until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out dry before removing from pan onto wire rack.
- Cool completely. Wrap and store overnight (important!) before slicing.