Perfect for Tea time, breakfast, lazy Sundays, or brunch, Blueberry Scones hold just enough sweetness without being the gooey, sticky sweet of their Cinnamon bun counterparts. Serve with honey butter, blueberry preserves or enjoy them plain.
Easy Blueberry Scone Recipe
An an easy Blueberry Scone recipe
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees, center rack.
- Step 2 Place a baking mat on a baking sheet.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Step 4 Cut in butter into pea-sized pieces
- Step 5 Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Step 6 Whisk together cream and egg in a liquid measuring cup. Blend but don’t over whisk
- Step 7 Pour this cream mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Step 8 Stir lightly with a fork just until the dough comes together.
- Step 9 Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, Knead.
- Step 10 Pat dough into two 6-inch squares about 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Step 11 Using a floured knife, cut each square into four 3-inch squares.
- Step 12 Diagonally cut squares in half to form eight triangles. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Step 13 Brush tops with cream, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Step 14 Bake 20 to 22 minutes.
- Step 15 Transfer scones to wire racks to cool. Glaze if desired.