Need a recipe for the last of the end-of-season veggies? This recipe contains some variety from the typical mid-summer salad fare. The carrots and beets work on their own, or incorporate wonderfully mixed into a green salad.
Carrots and beets always seem to be in the first and last harvests from our local farmer’s market. This Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad recipe is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.
Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound raw beets, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1/3 cup coarsely torn fresh parsley
- Step 1 In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, honey, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Step 2 In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, shred beets then carrots.
- Step 3 Add to bowl along with parsley, and toss to combine.